About Our School
WELCOME TO OUR SCHOOL Cunningham Hill Junior School is a county co-educational day school, opened in 1962. It is situated on a large site, shared with Cunningham Hill Infant School (Tel: 01727 857524). There are approximately 240 children in the school aged 7-11, divided into eight classes. We have spacious classrooms, with toilets, wash-basins and a cloakroom area. The school has a central hall, dining room with kitchen, library, music room and separate group rooms. Outside there are two playground areas, a large playing field with adventure play and astro turf area. There is also a wildlife garden and pond area constructed by parents of the school. The school is well equipped with equipment and resources. We have interactive Smart Boards in every classroom, 64 laptops and 32 Ipads, as well as other ICT resources. Cunningham Hill is a happy, lively place, in which children are encouraged to take pride, care and interest in every aspect of school life. The work is arranged so that children may go through the various syllabus outlines at speeds suited to their abilities. We believe that those who can work at a higher level should be encouraged to do so, whilst those who find academic work more challenging need help of a different kind. We always do our utmost to remove any barriers to learning. We also believe strongly that school is more than just an academic focus. We pride ourselves in providing our pupils with a wealth of extra curricular and extended learning opportunities that support children’s learning and enjoyment and participation at school. A pleasant working atmosphere exists at Cunningham Hill and contributes to a good community spirit. Children like attending and they enjoy their work, which is one of our main aims. However it is also made clear to the children that high standards of work and behaviour are expected here. We have established excellent relationships between all those who work and learn at the school and find ourselves in close harmony with parents, governors and the local education authority. Parents are positively encouraged to take an active part in the education of their children and play an important part in the day-to-day life of the school.
OUR SCHOOL AIMS
- To provide an inclusive and stimulating learning environment, where all members of the school community feel secure, happy and confident.
- To encourage the full development of each child, according to his/her individual ability and aptitude.
- To ensure that every child has equality of opportunity, irrespective of ability, gender, race, culture, religion, sexual orientation, Special Educational Needs and disability or social circumstances. To overcome any barriers to learning our children might experience during their time in school.
- To foster a sense of friendship and community through effective home/school partnership in which we are all valued, encouraged and supported.
- To provide an enriching broad and balanced curriculum which motivates our children by providing them with enjoyable and challenging opportunities to fulfil their individual academic, creative, musical and physical potential.
- To enable our children to acquire knowledge, skills, understanding and aesthetic awareness, within a framework of positive attitudes and high expectations.
- To develop in all our children a sense of personal and moral responsibility to the wider community.
- To prepare our children to take their place in a fast changing adult world: including an awareness of the social, cultural, emotional and spiritual needs of others and the effect of technological advances.